20 Tips to Prevent Candle Accidents
- Keep a one-foot radius clear space around and above candles.
- Put a candle in the middle of the table - Avoid putting on the edge, where it could fall over. Be careful when reaching across the table, as to not catch your shirt on fire. Make sure the table is sturdy and won’t collapse or tip over if leaned on.
- Don’t walk with a lit candle - Never carry a burning candle from one room to another. Do not light the candle until you have it placed where you want.
- Do not place candles near fire hazards - like curtains, drapes, beddings, carpets, paper products, and other flammable decorations.
- Avoid placing candles too close to walls and ceilings. Also
- Never light a candle on a bookshelf - to prevent discoloration of your walls, soot build-up, and a potential fire.
- Never use water to extinguish a candle - Water can cause the hot wax to splatter and might break a glass container.
- Place candles away from drafts, vents, fans, and water - to prevent rapid or uneven burning and excessive dripping.
- Never leave a candle unattended.
- Trim your wick to ¼ inch - before lighting for the first time for a more even burn. By keeping the wick trimmed, you help to control how much wax melts, limit soot, and significantly prolong the life of the candle.
- Your first burn is the most important - When you first light a brand new candle, it is best to follow proper burning instructions as to optimize the quality and evenness of the burn and lengthen the total burn time (or how long your candle will last). You can find the total burn time under each Hotel Collection candle and more information on our F.A.Q page.
- Never burn a candle for longer than directed - If you burn a candle for too long, carbon can collect on the wick, leading it to “mushroom” and making it unstable. This can lead to a dangerously large flame, flickering, lots of smoke and soot, and potentially start a fire.
- Candles take 2 hours to fully cool off - Let your candle wax harden completely before relighting or moving it.
- Do not throw away - liquid wax melts before they’ve cooled completely.
- If you have children or pets - only burn candles or wax melts on surfaces that are safely out of reach, such as on a high shelf or mantel.
- Don’t light candles in highly active rooms - such as workout spaces, dance studios, or play areas.
- Use a heat resistance surface - To make it safer place a candle on top of a coaster, ceramic or glass plate, or anything else that can resist or disperse heat.
- Only burn candles in rooms with great ventilation - If a room has poor ventilation, open a window or door. Candles burn carbon monoxide, which in poorly ventilated spaces can lead to major health problems such as aggravating asthma, allergy-like symptoms, and irritation of the respiratory system.
- Don’t burn your candle all the way down - For safety, stop using a candle once there is only a ½ inch remains in the container.
- Using candles during a power outage? - Never use a candle during a power outage to look for things in a closet or when fueling equipment – such as a grill, car, generator, lantern, or kerosene heater. An open flame is combustible around certain other gasses, fuels, and household products.
- Don’t use candles around extremely flammable beauty, cooking, and cleaning products. Some common flammable household products include -
- Aerosol products like household cleaning sprays, hair mousse, hair spray, and antiperspirants sprays .
- Flour and cooking oils are flammable, so do not cook or bake near a lit candle.
- Paraffin-based skin creams. Always wash clothing exposed to such skin creams at high temperatures. If possible, change your outfit after applying to prevent any risk.
- Rubbing alcohol, shoe polish, nail polish remover, and hand sanitizer.
- Laundry products including mothballs, pods, stain removers. and fabric softeners
- Auto and pool cleaning products.
Spilled Your Candle?
Easily clean it up with these tips to get candle wax off pretty much any surface.